08 August 2013

2

{Movie Review} Oz the Great and Powerful


Oz the Great and Powerful
Release Date: Mar 8 / 2013
Genre: Adventure & Fantasy
Rating: PG
Length: 130 min
Oscar Diggs (James Franco), a small-time circus magician with dubious ethics, is hurled away from dusty Kansas to the vibrant Land of Oz. At first he thinks he's hit the jackpot-fame and fortune are his for the taking. That all changes, however, when he meets three witches, Theodora (Mila Kunis), Evanora (Rachel Weisz), and Glinda (Michelle Williams), who are not convinced he is the great wizard everyone's been expecting. Reluctantly drawn into the epic problems facing the Land of Oz and its inhabitants, Oscar must find out who is good and who is evil before it is too late. Putting his magical arts to use through illusion, ingenuity-and even a bit of wizardry-Oscar transforms himself not only into the great and powerful Wizard of Oz but into a better man as well. Written by Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures.

Trailer



My Thoughts

Did you know this was a book first? Yeah, I know. Blew my mind. Anyways, I thought this was a great movie as I haven't watched any in a while now. Oz was a carnival magician and he was sent to the land of Oz as the great wizard. He's supposed to save everyone and kill the wicked witch. No pressure there, buddy.

See, I have a love-hate relationship with Oz. He is a deceiving and selfish lady's man. He charms every girl and then gives them this goddamn music box that supposedly belonged to his grandmother and he wanted them to have it. (How many of those stupid music boxes does he have in his coat anyways?) But later I grew to love him for his genius and his power to save everyone with illusions. 

There were also the three sisters and they were all witches. I was a bit confused first at who's the good and who's the evil one and didn't know how the people didn't see through the evil one's lies. I mean, how can Glinda be bad? She radiates with goodness and sunshine and all things happy, for goodness sakes. I feel sorry for Theodora to be tricked by her evil sister.

And the battle scene. Wow! I'm impressed by Oz's plans. He just used a bit of technology from Kansas (all thanks to Edison by the way) and he had the witches scared, thinking it was the most powerful magic ever. There were really no fighting scenes, as the people of Oz are forbidden to kill. But no biggie. We had a big showdown between Glinda and Evanora.

At last, there was a happy ending. Through the whole movie, they had great music as well. And it isn't a Disney movie if we didn't have a kiss at the end! As Oz said, it was his "greatest trick yet".

Rating:

2 comments:

  1. I saw this movie a while ago, and I think I liked it. It wasn't too memorable, but I do remember that the music and the graphics of the whole thing were really nice :/

    ~Sydney@Pika Pages

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually didn't like this one very much myself- for one I didn't like the way Theodora's storyline played out because I thought she was really nice, if a little overly happy- and I thought there was far too heavy a reliance on special effects. It was beautiful, sure, but I wish a little more of it wasn't CGI.
    I'm glad you liked it, though!

    ReplyDelete

Hi there! Please comment below and I'll reply and return the favor! Leave me a link to your post and I'll definitely come check it out :)